Sunday 28 September 2014

Theatre For Children: Fourth Lesson

24th September 2014
Hey

Performance  workshop

We are still trying to figure out what our scene could be about, so during our performance lesson we came up with some ideas to build on the outline we had.  We brainstormed some ideas e.g all of our personalities could be opposite of what we should be, but we discounted this idea and kept with the original idea of one of us going missing. 

We decided not to use ‘Where’s Wally’, but change it to Action Man and he could be Missing In Action. We had to come up with some scene ideas, which we did.  We would start off with physical theatre as a creative heap at the back of the stage and then would unfold and introduce ourselves as our characters. I think this is a strong start giving the impression of being muddled in Santa’s sack.  However when talking to Laura, our tutor, in Theatre for Children, she suggested we introduce ourselves when we did our ensemble pieces. We then came up with the idea we would also ‘freeze frame’ and Mel , who is playing action man, would go off stage in a dramatic James Bond style to the Bond theme music.  Another idea for further in the play is that we would have Benny Hill Theme music for cartoon type chase during which we would all try and catch Mel. We began working on using the right actions for our characters.   
I was feeling a little stressed about this as I didn’t have a character.  All my ideas didn’t seem quite right and I wanted to come up with a character that fitted with what my group mates had already chosen.  Initial ideas were a fairy in training, elf or Tinkerbell, but they seemed safe, bland options that I was not sure the kids would relate to.    Over the weekend I looked online and through some toy catalogues, which gave me the ideas of Dora the Explorer, Mario, Darth Vader, a minion, Spiderman, Jessie from toy story, Snow white and a pirate.  I texted my peers to see if they liked any of the ideas and the overwhelming response was Dora the Explorer.  I was pleased with this as I feel using the actions she uses in her show, (e.g, calling for her map and backpack) we could use in our show for audience participation.  I am feeling more confident for my character and found writing my Character Profile straight forward. 

At the end of the lesson we got a sneak preview of the scene other groups had some up with.  The reindeer idea stuck with me as it was modern and a novel approach to Santa’s reindeer.  Simply the reindeer posed for a selfie and as each character was tagged for a Facebook picture the reindeer stepped forward and introduce themselves.  Although as teenagers we all liked this idea, it perhaps could be a little old for the kids our play is intended for.

Theatre for children 

In the second part of the lesson we had to do some relaxation exercises and then reflect on happy Christmas memories.  This was then used as a basis for a short movement piece.  I found this quite hard to come up with ideas as I was slow working and didn't get as far as I hoped.  I felt as if I was doing mime instead of a movement piece. Which I thought “oh no!” as she told us were going to have to use some of the actions for our ensemble piece.  On the positive side I am quite nosey person but it was also give me a good in seen in to who my classes mate are.
I felt doing this exercise was not effective because we were all working separately, we all thought of our own christmas, when could of come up with a movement piece that could relate to everyone not just ourself, we could of worked in small groups or together as a class. I could do my movement piece with more wellie which means I would do strong and more definite with my movement.
  
Have written my letter, which I am quite proud about and am hoping for a response soon.  I also added in a cheeky hint about visiting them, so we will see what happens.  A copy is below.

I am finding the research limited for Something Special, so have broaden my area to the Cbeebies Channel.  However if I find this too larger a topic to do well I shall narrow it down to the areas I am particularly interested in.    I also understand there is an exhibition at The Lowry in Salford covering the history and creation of children’s television, which I think would be extremely useful, but it closes just before half term on 12th October, so I am not sure I will be able to visit.  Perhaps I could contact the Lowry and see if they can help with information……


see you soon 
Jenny 

1 comment:

  1. Good Molly, more detail is needed about the Theatre for Children lesson now. You have included a short description of the class which is good, but need to analyse and evaluate in order to access the higher marks. Why was this task effective/not effective in creating material? What went well for you, and how could you improve your work next time?
    I like the fact you have written to them, a visit would be great, and I think contacting the Lowry would also be a brilliant idea if you can't make it up there.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete